Thursday, October 22, 2009

What's your emergency plan?













I can remember being terrified as a kid going through bus safety with our teachers and bus drivers.

What do you mean "in case of accident"?

If we can't get out the front door of the bus - then what?

We sat and listened as it was explained how to exit the bus through the windows or emergency backdoor. Sounded scary - but (I thought) at least there was a plan. Then came the shocking news that WE would be exiting through the back of the bus. I watched as kid after kid jumped out of the backdoor. As my turn approached, I was more and more nervous... how is a little kid like me supposed to make that BIG jump.

When the time came to jump, I closed my eyes and did it - not completely convinced that I would survive the jump (but I wasn't going to be outdone by my other classmates)...

... and you know what, I survived! Not only that I was very comforted by the fact that in the case of an emergency - I would know what to do.

What about your staff?

Do they know your emergency plan?

Fire, flood, terrorist attack?

Scary? Yes. Necessary? Absolutely.

In order for your team to function effectively and get your guests to safety - they have to be comfortable with the plan and know how to execute it at a moment's notice.

When was the last time you and your staff practiced "jumping out of the bus"? Maybe it is time for a review.

-Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment